The Palomar Icon™ XD is a medical grade laser that uses pulses of light to treat skin imperfections without causing damage to the encompassing tissues. The laser can penetrate the deepest skin layers, allowing for maximum effectivity in removing all types of acne scars and skin issues. It also makes use of the Skintel Melanin Reader, a patented innovation that analyzes the melanin density of the skin to help determine the appropriate settings for the patient’s specific skin type and complexion.
Depending on the results of your skin evaluation and the severity of your acne scarring, Dr. Sedgh will use one of the following Palomar Icon handpieces:
- 400-700 and 87-1200 nm spectral range
- used for acne treatment and benign pigmented lesions
- skin types I to IV on the Fitzpatrick Skin Type Scale
- 1540 nm spectral range
- used for fractional non-ablative skin resurfacing, soft tissue coagulation, and removal of acne scars, melasma, surgical scars, and stretch marks
- 2940 nm spectral range
- used for fractional ablative soft tissue coagulation, skin resurfacing, and removal of wrinkles and fine lines, irregularities in skin texture, pigmented lesions, and vascular dyschromia
Before the procedure, your skin will be cleansed thoroughly to remove any dirt, oil, or makeup. A topical anesthetic will then be applied over the target areas to numb the skin. Acne laser treatments are virtually pain-free, but numbing the skin is typically used to prevent any discomfort that may be experienced during the process.
Protecting the eyes is extremely important in any laser procedure. Therefore, you will also be provided with a pair of safety glasses to wear during the treatment.
Dr. Sedgh will then begin the treatment by targeting small sections of skin. This process will be repeated until the entire target area has been addressed. The procedure is relatively quick, depending on the extent or severity of the scarring.
The doctor will finish the treatment by applying a cooling serum to the treated areas, as well as an ample amount of sunscreen to ensure protection from UV rays.