Oftentimes, when people are considering rhinoplasty, they’re thinking more about the short-term results. However, it is important to also consider the medium-to long-term; rhinoplasty often involves altering the structure of your nose, as you age, the lack of support can mean that your nose loses its shape over time. In this blog, we’ll answer questions that patients ask such as “do nose jobs age well?” and “what is the best age to get a nose job?”
Do nose jobs age well—Changes to Expect
The truth is that there is no way to know exactly how rhinoplasty surgery will look as the patient ages. There are, however, some factors that will influence changes in your nose over the years. These include:
- Your genetics
- The techniques the surgeon used during the rhinoplasty
- Whether you experience trauma to the face
- How thick the skin on your nose is
Immediately after a rhinoplasty procedure, you will experience post-operative swelling as well as other expected short-term side effects, including bruising and tenderness. These symptoms will gradually subside between one week and up to a year post-op
How to ensure a positive aging experience
If you want to ensure that your nose continues to look as good as it did when it was first done, it is important to:
- Choose a surgeon with extensive experience. They should be able to provide you with proof of great results. Ensure your surgeon uses advanced surgical techniques in order to mitigate the risk of experiencing negative effects as you age
- Making good lifestyle choices. Avoid activities or habits that will have a negative impact on your skin or appearance of your face e.g. smoking or extended exposure to the sun. The success of your initial surgery will be the biggest factor in how well your nose job ages. Make the right choice for the best long term experience
What is the best age to get Rhinoplasty?
There is no definite age that would be considered the best age for a nose job.However,18 to 40 years is considered a good age range to get rhinoplasty. This is because your body has fully developed to maturity and your skin still has that youthful elasticity. Elasticity is important as it ensures that the skin can recover from the changes made during surgery more easily. It also minimizes the risks of developing complications from the procedure.
Too young or too old
The main limiting factor when performing a nose job on a person younger than 18 is ensuring that the nose is fully formed and has reached its full size. On the other hand, performing surgery on a person over the age of 40 is challenging as incisions don’t heal as quickly and the skin has lost some of its elasticity.
If you are below 18 or above 40 and are interested in getting rhinoplasty, you should consult an experienced plastic surgeon to determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure.
Dr. Sedgh is an expert in rhinoplasty. His expertise is evident in the results that his patients achieve. If you’re ready to reap the benefits of rhinoplasty, contact Dr. Sedgh today and book an appointment for a consultation.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and isn’t medical advice.
Posted on behalf of Sedgh Plastic Surgery