When getting a setback otoplasty or ear pinning surgery, recovery time is generally short; the estimated complete recovery period is up to six weeks. Here’s what else you can expect from your otoplasty recovery and what you can do to support it.
What to Expect Post-Otoplasty
The discomfort following otoplasty is manageable and usually less than the patient anticipates. Pain medication can be prescribed after the treatment to alleviate initial soreness, and over-the-counter painkillers can also be taken should there be discomfort in the following days.
Your ears will be swollen and feel sore during the first 24-hours after the surgery. Swelling will significantly subside a few days after and will continue to do so for another few weeks. It is advised to take five to seven days off work, as the most critical part of the recovery occurs during the first week post-surgery. Typically after seven to ten days, you can resume your normal activities under your surgeon’s guidance, as long as they are not physically strenuous or demanding.
Otoplasty Recovery: Aftercare Dos and Don’ts
Here are some aftercare instructions to keep in mind following your otoplasty procedure:
- Rest frequently.
- Keep your head elevated for the first few weeks post-surgery to decrease the risk of inflammation.
- Avoid using heated hair styling tools like a blow dryer, and stay away from extreme heat.
- Wear clothing that is easily removable; pulling a shirt over your head could irritate or damage your incisions.
- Avoiding touching or rubbing your ears.
- Quit smoking— smoking hinders the healing process by preventing proper oxygenation and blood flow.
- Avoid strenuous, physically taxing exercise and activity.
- Avoid washing your hair entirely for at least the first week.
Superb Precision, Optimal Recovery
To learn more about proper aftercare protocol, schedule a consultation today to receive the best outcome. Dr. Jacob Sedgh is the leading facial plastic surgeon in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, with over 20 years of practical experience and medical training. Under his skilled hands, you can be assured of precise surgical techniques to achieve flawless facial symmetry and natural results, as well as superior, individualized postoperative care and support.
Posted on behalf of Sedgh Plastic Surgery